About the Categories

As I'm sewing my way through blog-land, I'm rating every tutorial I use - according to skill level and three ratings. Here is the break down of those:

Jump Right In: This tutorial is well organized and easy to follow. Don't worry about it, just jump right in!

Make a Muslin: The theory is good. The design is worth making, but the instructions are out of order or difficult to understand. Don't make the first one out of your "good fabric".

Don't Cut That: I imagine there won't be many of these. However, if I do use this rating, it will be because the tutorial is fraught with mistakes and misleading directions. Honestly, it would have to be pretty bad.

Monday, December 27, 2010

Doll's Pillowcase Tutorial



Tutorial: Doll's Pillowcase
Skill Level:  Beginner
Rating:  Jump Right In!

I liked making that nine-patch block.  I really did.  The math lover in me enjoyed making all the seams line up.

That one block also made me painfully aware of how much time quilting was going to take me, especially because I still couldn't sew a straight line! I figured quilting was not in my near future.


But, in spite of myself, I fell in love with the Crazy Mom over at Crazy Mom Quilts. Honestly, most days I just sat in awe of how many amazing quilts that woman could crank out!! 


Then, in December 2008, she posted a tutorial for a doll's quilt and pillowcase. With Alana's birthday coming up and Mamie (her dolly) desperately needing bedding, I decided I would try this. I used scraps of quilting fabric I had to make her a quilt (and it's still my best quilt – lol!) and made a coordinating pillowcase. 

Of course, the tutorial was perfectly clear and easy to follow. Amanda has a way of explaining things that make the most complex tasks seam (hehe) simple!

So, you should try this one. Definitely. And make a thousand of them...because you'll feel SO ACCOMPLISHED when it's over. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. No, really.